This story is from September 4, 2006

'Paras hasn't imported any arms'

Nepal's Royal Palace on Monday broke its long silence to refute allegations that Paras had imported arms from Austria.
'Paras hasn't imported any arms'
KATHMANDU: Nepal's Royal Palace on Monday broke its long silence to refute allegations that Paras had imported arms from Austria. A statement issued by the palace said the report "is totally baseless, fabricated and with malicious intent".
It further said that Paras had gone to Austria last March at the invitation of the Austrian Chancellor Dr Wolfgang Schuessel, and had gifted two rhinoceroses to the Austrian people.

The allegations were made in the local press quoting Maoist chairman Prachanda. He accused Paras of importing sophisticated weapons from Austria.
Media reports over the last few days here have said that an Ukrainian aircraft carrying the weapons for Nepal had been impounded at the Ahmedabad airport.
But no one here has taken responsibility for the arms. Nepal finance minister Ram Sharan Mahat said the government has no knowledge of anyone importing the arms.
The Nepal Army too denied involvement. But the incident has been used by the Maoists as yet another sign of mistrust of the Seven-Party Alliance government, which it accuses of lately siding with the palace and army to defeat the Maoists.
End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA